Monday, April 25, 2011

Eph. 2:7a

7a In order that in the coming ages he might show the incomparable riches of his grace.

God has raised me up in Jesus Christ, by the exertion of his awesome power, not to set a standard for me that I can not attain, but in order to show me the full extent of his powerful grace. He does not let it up to me to be holy. He is, in me, my holiness. As I cling to that truth I desire in my inner being to serve him with all my heart.

In the coming ages. I like to think that Paul is speaking of the “coming ages” as from this very moment until eternity. The plenteous grace of God meets the needs of the moment and will do so forever, no matter what the circumstances, whether on the earth or in the heavenlies, or both!

That he might show. What a releasing truth! The way my mind works I sometimes feel that God has saved me, now it is my responsibility to show that I can perfect my ways. Never! The whole glory of the Good News is that it is God who shows me everything, including the truth about my blundering self and the truth of his willingness to flood my dry heart with life-giving water.

The incomparable riches of his grace. In other words, grace that is so rich that it can not be compared to any other “wealth” on earth or in heaven. Every saint, every redeemed sinner, stands in awe as he or she recognizes the marvels of God’s grace, always a surprise, always fitting, always renewing. That sets the heart to singing!

No comments: