Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Eph. 2:5a

5 (God) made us alive with Christ even when we were dead in transgressions-- it is by grace you have been saved.

I am writing this in the season of Lent when I have the opportunity to ponder, again, the mystery and the reality of the death, resurrection and ascension of Jesus Christ. Here are my thoughts as I allow this text (v. 5) to enter my heart.

Having taken our sin upon himself, Jesus died to that sin. My sin was judged, therefore in Him. That done, Jesus rose from the dead, free and glorious. He had accomplished what he was determined must be done. This was in the heart of God before the foundation of the world - that is to slay sin, do away with its tyranny, let it be judged.

All that happened “in time” but its effects were beyond time. His sacrificial death and resurrection was the singular, most important event that every happened, certainly much more significant and much more difficult than the creation of the universe.

Paul invites me to focus, once again, on the Cross. To comprehend what happened there, I begin with the fact that I was dead, dead in transgressions. I was so dead that I could not possibly do anything! That picture is full of despair and hopelessness. Unless I begin with that tragic fact I can not possibly comprehend what happened. However, if I admit it, then I begin to see how truly amazing is the death and resurrection and ascension of Christ. Seeing my condition, Jesus died for me, canceling out my debt of sin and raised me to newness of life.

Paul, upon this background, describes perfectly what happened to me at my conversion. I carried my sin in my own body. By faith, I transferred my sin over to Jesus who pled with me to do so, and then my sin, in him, was judged and dealt with. Now I am raised from the dead - identified with Jesus in his resurrection. That is why Paul can say, (God) made us alive with Christ even when we were dead in transgressions. Dead in transgression to being alive in Christ, what a huge transition. That is the marvelous effect of the new birth and the daily walk with Jesus, day after day, moment after moment, forever. This is Easter indeed.

No comments: