Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Eph. 1:18

Please note, the most recent one is on the top. They then appear in reverse order.

18 I pray also that the eyes of your heart may be enlightened in order that you may know the hope to which he has called you, the riches of his glorious inheritance in the saints.

I pray…that the eyes of your heart may be enlightened…to know the hope.

My heart has eyes! It has the capability of seeing. This implies that it also has the potential to be blind – seeing nothing, or so clouded, perhaps, with sin and doubt, that it sees but dimly. I must examine my own eyes to make sure that I do in fact see what really matters, to ascertain that which makes the light of God shine into my life and out again to the world.

The hardest thing to see when all is darkness and confusion is hope. The good news is that I can know the hope that is of God for me. I must clear my eyes by applying the cleansing blood of Jesus Christ to them, to remove everything that blinds or distorts and gaze with full vision on the hope that is set before me by the God of the universe and God of my life.

The riches of his glorious inheritance in the saints.


These riches cost God at an inestimable cost. I am pondering the cost the Trinity paid to win my redemption. That cost was unbelievable, incomprehensible, but gloriously true. It cost Jesus everything to make everything available to me. God emptied heaven, so to speak, when Jesus Christ came to earth. He gave his most precious thing, his only son, beloved indeed, to redeem us sinners. Who can doubt the love of God that did all that!

The glorious inheritance. Our inheritance is absolutely unearned. When we point to the grace of God, that is what is meant. I deserve no inheritance because my spiritual nature estranges me from the family of God. I am, as noted earlier, dead when it comes to any inheritance whatsoever. How is it then, that I am a candidate for God’s grace, an inheritance? There is only one answer, God must take the initiative and adopt me. That is the only way I can receive an eternal inheritance. As an adopted child of God I participate in his rich inheritance, now and eternally. As an adopted son, I am given something I certainly do not deserve, a rich inheritance.

In light of this powerful grace of God I can but bow the neck and receive it with thanksgiving.

1 comment:

Betty said...

Wow! I have to ponder that! It is so easy to skim over these powerful and deep words. I do need the blood of Jesus applied to these dull, blind spiritual eyes of mine. Thank you, Don, for bringing this out. Such rich truths yet so hard to comprehend. Thank You Holy Spirit for the grace and ability You give to begin to understand God's wonderful Word to us.