Friday, April 8, 2011

Eph. 1:19, 20

19 And his incomparably great power for us who believe. That power is like the working of his mighty strength.

His great power for us who believe. This is the second HUGE blessing! God wants us to know how awesomely powerful he is to change us and make us his children. That power can not be compared to any other power. No doubt because no other power can turn wretched human beings into sons and daughters of God. It is simple as that. I certainly do not have the power to do that nor does anyone else. Only the mighty power of God can give a lifeless person life or a struggling person peace.

We live in a day when Satan has many people convinced that they can control their own destiny by pure dint of determination, sometimes by self-help means, or by trying yet another religion or philosophy that does not have the power to make people into sons and daughters of God. Why do we human beings turn our backs on redemption through Jesus Christ? I suppose it is human pride that always wants to be in charge.

How great is the power that gave me life? Paul knows the answer to that. That power is like the working of his mighty strength, which he exerted in Christ when he raised him from the dead and seated him at his right hand in the heavenly realms, far above all rule and authority, power and dominion, and every title that can be given, not only in the present age but also in the one to come.

My soul, think about that for a bit! How can I possibly take this in? Paul is referring to the divine power that raised Jesus Christ from the dead and then raised him up, not only to life, but to his own right hand in the heavenlies. Now, my soul, that is power! Unequaled power.

Think on this for a season. My salvation is won by that power. It is truly resurrection power. If that thought is not amazing enough, I am told that God has not only exerted that power to bring me eternal life but that power is now at work in me to change things in the direction that God wants them changed. Can I ever truly comprehend this?

Jesus is seated. I suppose “placed” might be the meaning of the term “seated,” that is if I think of Jesus as seated and inactive. I know that Jesus is active and busy, constantly. He never sleeps nor takes a holiday. He is always there, interceding for the saints.

The point is that God is eminently pleased about Jesus, all that Jesus had passed through, for our atonement. It is like God saying, “Thank you, Jesus! You died to self and proceeded to pass through the horrors of the Cross – that is now done, accomplished, and will never need to be repeated. Now, my beloved Son, sit here! That work of atonement is now completely accomplished, leaving nothing undone. Thank you, my Son. Rest in joy as you continue your work of bringing sons and daughters into the Family of God.”

No comments: