Monday, April 4, 2011

Eph. 1:16, 17

16 I have not stopped giving thanks for you, remembering you in my prayers.

I have not stopped giving thanks. This refers to Paul praying for his friends who are in the fellowship in Ephesus but it is a reminder to me that no matter what I am praying for, I should not stop praying. No matter if I see no movement on God’s part or if I see no change in my own attitudes or understanding, I do well to keep on giving thanks, keep on praying. Sometimes it takes a long time before I, through earnest prayer, begin to see things like God does.

I usually think of giving thanks after I receive the answer. I am reminded that I should give thanks even if nothing seems to be happening.

17 I keep asking that the God of our Lord Jesus Christ, the glorious Father, may give you the Spirit of wisdom and revelation, so that you may know him better.

Imbedded in this statement is the marvelous fellowship within the triune God – Father, Son, Holy Spirit. All three share the same essence but each has a specific, vital, office to perform.

The prayer is to God, the glorious Father, who is the source of all grace. But allied to the Father is our Lord Jesus Christ. God is in everything that Jesus is, does and has done. I think specifically of Jesus’ atoning work. The atoning work of Jesus is of crucial importance in my prayers, in fact the atonement under girds all my prayers. Finally, the Holy Spirit puts it all together for us in life-giving reality

For what is Paul praying? He is praying for them a Spirit of wisdom. This is not a prayer for what can be obtained by one's own God-given abilities – like rationality and the ability to figure things out. What I need is in a different dimension completely – I need spiritual wisdom. I need The Spirit of wisdom. I need wisdom but can not obtain that except the Holy Spirit grant it, or better yet, for him to be that wisdom himself, wisdom that sees beyond the normal and lives into the reality of the Father, Son and Holy Spirit, one in fellowship, one in purpose.

The Spirit of revelation. I need Jesus to reveal himself to me. It is foolhardy for me to attempt, with my own limited understanding, to peer into divine revelation because how can a creature like me see into the Spirit of God. For that I need the Holy Spirit to reveal new things, helpful things, all the days of my life.

So that. So that I many know him better. The most amazing thing in all the world is that a human being – limited by earthly time and space - can know God. Who can imagine such a thing? And who can believe that God himself wants us to see him revealed?

I stand amazed as I ponder that. I am amazed by what I see. But even more astounding, perhaps, is that I can experience that grace on a daily, moment by moment basis.

To know him better. That is why I need wisdom, not to know the world, others or even myself better. It is so that I can know God more and more.

To know God includes both knowing about God and his gracious works, but it includes knowing God in a close, personal, deep, face-to-face relationship. That is precious beyond measure.

1 comment:

Betty said...

This was so encouraging, Don. Thank you for this reminder to keep on praying. It is so easy to give up because we don't "see" any results. John Newton writes that we are not like mushrooms but like oak trees - it takes time for them to grow and become well-rooted strong trees. Reading today's devotional gave me a longing to know my heavenly Father more and more intimately. I have been praying that the Holy Spirit would put a hunger and thirst to know Jesus in my heart. Thank you, Don, and thank You Lord! Betty