Saturday, March 26, 2011

Eph. 1:8

1:8 He lavished (grace) on us with all wisdom and understanding.

With all wisdom.
I believe this refers to God’s wisdom. He lavishes grace on us according to his infinite, purposeful wisdom. He is the All Wise One. We can not demand grace. All we can do is receive it. It is our God that pours out his grace on us. Paul points to the fact that God is wise in how he dispenses his grace. This does not mean that God withholds grace from one and pours it on another. No. He knows each person individually and pours out his grace that is appropriate for that person at that moment.

With all understanding. Who understands me? One thing is sure, not me! How can I know myself if I am bound within the parameters of the life that I inhabit? God sees all and knows me through and through. He alone knows how to break my bondages so that I can live at peace in his presence.

He understands me, and all my needs. Knowing that, he pours out his grace. In human terms we might say, God does not waste grace by pouring out where it will not be appropriated! He administers his grace with complete understanding. His grace is always ample, poured out lavishly, but it is poured where it will find a response and so make a difference. Having said that, I am further convinced that God is not stingy in the way he dispenses his grace. He is lavish! Certainly not all his grace is received or even appreciated. But he goes on pouring it out in any case.

No comments: