Thursday, March 24, 2011

Eph. 1:7, 8

Eph. 1:7, 8 In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins, in accordance with the riches of God's grace that he lavished on us with all wisdom and understanding.

In him we have redemption through his blood.

In him.” The grace of God gives us Jesus and all grace is to be found “in him.” Is this not marvelous beyond words, that I, a sinner, can experience life “in Jesus?” Not life in self, or life in culture, or life in a religion or life in self-effort, but life “in” him. Everything I need is “in him.” But how can I get it?

That is not the question, the question is, how can God get me to realize that I need to recalculate, every day, what it means be in Jesus? My challenge is to be in Jesus moment by moment, thinking Jesus’ thoughts, buoyed by his Spirit, broken and repentant. How much of my life do I really live “in him?” It is only by the grace of God that any of us get on in this pilgrimage of faith. We would despair but for the simple fact that we live our entire lives and will live all eternity “in him.” This being “in him” is one of the most comforting realities that has been revealed to us by the Holy Spirit of God. I have come to the conclusion that it is futile to try to live as a Christian unless my total life is fully given to live “in him.” If I live in anything else I perish.

Life “in Jesus” is difficult to grasp, fully. I see it but in vague outline. In my own life I believe I started by believing in Jesus. I meant it. But along the way, I realized that something happened, instead of just believing in Jesus, I began to see that I can and should live “in him.” That process continues, even as I write these words. I am still a learner in the school of God’s grace, learning what it means to be in Jesus no matter what.

A further word: when I am “in him” I can see God, the Father of Jesus. I find myself seeing what Jesus sees, feeling what he feels, loving as he loves. Jesus has no problem seeing God’s love – if I am in Jesus I see through though his eyes, not my own, because my eyes filter out everything that I do not want or do not even want to understand. When I stand outside of Jesus and ponder the mighty and deep works of God nothing happens in my soul. If I ponder the glory of God while “in him,” my soul leaps for joy and I find comfort beyond telling.

We have redemption. I suppose we could rephrase this – “We are redeemed.” I think they amount to the same thing. The core meaning is simple, I am justly condemned because of my deeds and because of my rebellious spirit. Someone comes to my rescue, pays what it costs to set me free and then breaks the chains of bondage to sin so that I can willingly serve my “Redeemer.”

This is especially amazing when I remember that the price of my redemption was made long before I felt a need for it. It was always there, so to speak, in the heart of God. It just had to be accomplished by the life, death and resurrection of Jesus Christ.

No comments: