Friday, March 25, 2011

Eph. 1:7

7 Redemption through his blood.

Through his blood. Here Paul uses shorthand to explain something that absolutely baffles the mind of anyone who seriously tries to plumb its meaning. His blood catches in a bundle all the wisdom, teaching, healing, self-giving, suffering, joy and resurrection life of Christ and presents it all to us, freely. That, I think, encompasses some of the immense scope of the benefits of the Atonement.

One of the main benefits of his blood, however, is the forgiveness of sins. Not just after death, but right now. Divine forgiveness is not just hope but a concrete actuality. As we consider the meaning of the blood of Jesus Christ, shed for us, we are probably at the heart of its meaning when we reach the point where Jesus made it possible for God to forgive sins. Only through the blood of Jesus does God have the right to forgive sins. Having that right, he is eager to bestow that blessing on all of us who believe.

His blood takes away sin, cleanses the sinner then sets him or her free to worship and obey God Almighty. As his blood is applied to my life by sincere confession and implicit faith, I am freed from not only the burden of sin but all of the weight of guilt that hovers over sin. If my sins are washed away in his blood I waste time and effort agonizing over my sin or sins that I have placed “under his blood.”

Any doctrine of Salvation that does not have his Blood as the operative center of forgiveness is not Christian and, indeed, is not true. There is only one way we can be at peace with God, that is if God works out a way to cleanse me of my sin and gives me a new nature.

When I first came to Christ it was not hard or embarrassing to approach God as a desperate sinner. But how about now, decades later? God’s answer to that is clear. He says, “You need the cleansing and renewing blood of Jesus Christ to break and cleanse your sinful nature every day.” Until I die? Absolutely! God has a hard time convincing me that I am a sinner, now. But I am finding that once I see myself as having no need for his Blood as I try to live “the holy life” I am on the downward slope to dryness.

For Paul, the secret to life with God is the enabling power of the blood of Jesus Christ. Every authentic Christian revival is a rediscovery of the astounding power of his blood, shed for all mankind.

7 b In accordance with the riches of God's grace that he lavished on us with all wisdom and understanding. Not in accordance with the law and justice of God – but in accordance with the riches of his grace. This grace he “lavished on us.” I seldom use the word, lavish, but I assume it means to pour out in amazing abundance. I know so little of this. But my heart yearns to learn more

No comments: