Friday, September 23, 2011

I saw a bum

You will be blessed with this up-to-date testimony of Pete McJunkin.

sitting in traffic
I saw a bum, a panhandler
on his staked out corner
pleading with the stopped cars

"Will you help me please,
... will you help me please?"
over and over again.
the light would change,
more cars would come -
again and again, all day long.

He stumbled and fumbled
up and down the sidewalk
suffering from some
debilitating affliction

with nothing to offer anyone -
no talents, no song and dance -
just his pleas for help
some people gave money
some turned their heads away
again and again, all day long.

and as I watched
I heard a quiet voice inside -
"that's you, that's you..."
"ME??" I cried, "ME??" - But it is true.
I have nothing to offer my Creator,
that is of any value whatsoever
only my desperate pleas for His assistance.

no song and dance, no magic tricks -
just myself, my thanks, and my love.
God doesn't turn His head and drive away,
He's always there with His open arms
"I love you, it's all yours"

1 comment:

Alan Jacobs said...

Reminds me of that quote: "Jesus comes to your doorstep in some very distressing disguises."