Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Eph. 2:10b

10b For we are God's workmanship, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do.

Which God prepared in advance for us to do.

This phrase should help clear up the issue of whether a follower of Jesus should think much about doing good works or just rest in the fact that God did the great Good Work in redeeming our souls, a work that astounds and blesses us.

We might well ask, “What little that I can do will have any meaning whatsoever in comparison with the Gospel work already done by the Holy Trinity already?" Good question. The answer is that we can do nothing to help God in his work of redeeming us. The Trinity did it all and it is done. God does not ask me to help in that.

What he does require of all believers is that they now perform the good works that God has designed for them to do in order that his Kingdom may be increased on the earth.

Being a follower of Jesus is a demanding profession. By making Christ Lord we are then enabled and encouraged, even commanded, to do our part in Kingdom building. Not only are we called to “work” in a generic sense like being kind and gentle, but each of us is called to do a good work that was designated for us “in advance.” The “in advance” may refer to God’s plan that was in his heart before the creation of the world.

However, I rather think that Paul means that we do not determine what good works each of us should do by looking around and then deciding what we want to do. No. Even in the area of doing good, God is the Director. He chooses what I should do, not me. It is my responsibility to do what he says, without any assurance that what I do will be at all helpful or successful from my point of view.

Only God can see the future, certainly not me. In a sense, he sees “in advance.” I must learn the daily lesson of hearkening to him to know what He requires of me for the day.

Another thing impresses me in this verse. If God determines in advance what part I should play in the advancement of his Kingdom, then if I fail to do that but decide I would rather do something else, then the good works that were designed for me to do will go undone. That is a sobering thought, indeed.

No comments: